Monday, December 8, 2008

Praying for Baby Connel

Hello all! Most of you probably already know, but in case you don't, one of my best friends- Kira Connel- had an incredibly precious baby boy named John "Corban" Connel on Dec. 5. He is a healthy almost 9 pound, 21 inch cutie! However, right after he was born, they detected a problem and later determined that there was a problem with his esophagus. They immediately air lifted him to San Antonio to Methodist Children's hospital. There they determined more specifically that he has a separation somewhere between his esophagus and trachea. Basically this means that food cannot directly reach his tummy and air leaks into the tummy as well; I think the technical term is called fistula. He is in surgery RIGHT now (7:30am, dec. 8) and the doctor was pretty confident he could stretch the tissue to connect the separation. Obviously, this is the most desired outcome, but they will not know for sure until they get in there and see how much they have to work with. If they are successful with the attachment, they will place a tube through the mouth to the tummy so he can be fed, until the esophagus heals. The recovery is roughly 2-4 weeks and Kira, Ryan, & Corban will stay in San Antonio during that time. If they are not able to attach it, then they will have to wait for Corban to grow some and will have to stay here 3-4 months. Please pray for sweet Corban, Ryan, and Kira! I know they will appreciate your prayers immensely! I will post an update later this afternoon with details from the surgery :)

Sorry I don't have any pics of him...i will work on that!

3 comments:

The Holik's said...

Hi Cami!! Thanks for posting all that about Corban. I didn't know all the details!! I keep checking facebook to find out how everything is going. We are praying for him.

Shyanne

(My parents are good friends with Johnny and Lisa from when they lived in Clyde.)

OhK-Booth said...

Please keep me posted and thank you for all the details. Love ya girly and i will be home from the 22nd-2nd. Let Micah know and ask if wants me to sing. He mentioned that he wanted me to let him know so he could pencil me in. I don't have to sing...I just don't want him coming up to me at church scorning me for not letting him know....wow... haha

Laura said...

thanks for updating! how great to have you as a friend during this time. praying!