Monday, February 16, 2009

FINALLY...pics of Demo!!

I finally found my little white cord.....right where I left it...in my computer case...go figure!! Who would have actually thought to look "there??!!" I guess I am so bad at misplacing things that it never occurred to me that it might be in the last place I left it :) Anyhow..... below the post are the pictures of the demolition of our pale, yellow, 1950's honeycomb tile!! Honestly, I was kinda sad to see it go... NOT REALLY!! I hated it!! We are waiting on the plumber to take care of some things tomorrow and hopefully we will be able to start putting everything back together soon. I know it will be worth it, but I am soooooo ready for a meal other than a sandwich and looking forward to NOT washing the boys sippy cups and other random dishes in the bath tub :) Funny story about all the sandwiches we have been having:

So we have had A LOT of sandwiches lately, because...well our kitchen is technically in non-working order and that's just what you eat! Anyway, so the other night (I think it was day 4 of demo, which translates to 6/7 sandwiches) Micah and I had the "what do you want for dinner" discussion. Here is our dialog:

Micah- "What's the plan for dinner?"
Me- "Well, lets see....hmmm...we can do sandwiches, sandwiches, or get take out."
Micah- (pause) "I tell you what beautiful (that's what he calls me), we can do sandwiches but we can embelish them!"
Me- (thinking-oh yummy, something different!) "Embelish them? Like with what Babe?"
Micah- (no joke-this was his reply) "With Chips!!!"
Me- "hahahahahahahhahahahhahahhahhaa, REALLY? Hahahahahahahaha!"

Ok- really, I thought this was too funny! I am still chuckling thinking about it! If we think that adding chips to our sandwich meal is an "embelishment" then we need to get out more!! Are chips not the #1 side dish for a sandwich? Anyway- gotta love my hubby for trying to make something "blah" seem exceptional!! LOVE HIM!

Demo Pics:


Before...



Micah actually chipped these off about 2 years ago b/c we thought we might redo the counter top then...never seemed to get back around to it!!


no turning back now!



I don't know if you can tell, but there was this chicken wire stuff that was mortared to the backing that was mortared to the tile...ummm...NOT easy to get off!!


First "war" wound! It was right on the elbow bone and we wouldn't get it to stop bleeding, so I put a gauze pad under a band-aid and then secured it with painters tape!! Shoulda taken a pic of that!!


After about an hour, Micah finally got a big chunk pried off!


bye bye yellow tile!


"is that a sink full of counter top?" Yes Sir!



Our friend Ryan came over to take part in the festivities!


This is the last pic I took, but it doesn't look like this now, ALL the stuff is cleared out, so it's a little neater than that ;)

More pics to come as we make progress!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i actually used to put my doritos on my PB & J back in the day. it did "embelish" the sandwich quite nicely. I still do it from time to time.

Shaunna said...

Lookin' good!!

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Eric and Lar Holquin said...

i must admit i'm getting a little stressed just lookin' at all that mess-ha!! i remember doing all that in our house-ahhh!! nuts...but always worth it in the end. good luck and can't wait to see the finished product!!!:)

OhK-Booth said...

We used to put jalapenos and potato chips on our pimento sandwiches...it actually sounds good now! BTW- I have been through kitchen demo with my folks and it seems to be the messiest process, but SO worth it in the end.

Janet said...

Fun! I can't wait to see the finished product either! About the chicken wire, I just had to crack up. We have taken on projects before that made us wonder what in the world the people before us were thinking! Keep up the good work!

Joyce Sowards said...

Oh, aren't those DIY projects fun! ha ha. It's never as easy as you think it'll be, but so rewarding when you're done! Repainting is our next project. I can't wait!! :) I love your red cabinets by the way. too cute.